2013-05-07

Globe

Why have I never been forced to paint a Globe?
To actually mark out where on earth everything is on an actual globe, to draw the latitudes and longitudes, continents and countries, oceans and rivers, would have taught me so incredibly much about geography. It would be a knowledge that would burn itself deep in the brain of anyone doing it.
Why is that not an obligatory assignment in school? Is there no time somewhere between the first and ninth year in the swedish educational system where such a task could fit in? Flat maps only distorts the understanding of the world, they teach me nothing. I say 'To hell with flat maps!'. I firmly believe that the world would be a better place if everyone was forced to carry around their own painstakingly crafted globes where ever they went. 

No comments: